GOALS FOR 2017
On how to Make your New Year Resolutions a Reality
As 2016 comes to an end, it’s time to reflect on the goals and intentions that were created earlier this year. Take a moment and recall the resolutions that were set last New Year. Where those goals accomplished? If not, what was the reason? How can you create a plan to make your goals attainable? Here is a strategy that can be used to help your goals for 2017 become a reality. These 5 Keys to goal setting are from Sean Covey- author of the “7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens.” Covey’s book highlights many of the principles founded in Dr. Stephen Covey’s book, “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People,” a must read!! Here we will focus on Goal Setting.
Habit # 2: Begin with the End in MIND – Develop a clear picture of where you want to go with your life. Create a roadmap and be in the lead! You are the driver of your life, decide where to go and draw a map of how to get there. With the end in mind, you will not lose track of your steps in life, each step you take will be in the right direction.
5 Keys to Goal Setting- Sean Covey
1. Count the Cost
– What will it require?
– Consider benefits
– Ask yourself, am I willing to make the sacrifice?
2. Write it out – “A goal not written is only a wish.”
– Written goals carry 10x more power
– Be specific
– Make a plan and create a deadline
– Keep your written goal somewhere that you can see daily- out of sight out of mind!
3. Just DO IT!!
– “Until one is committed there is always hesitancy” – W.H. Murray
– “Leap and the net will appear”- John Burroughs
– Those who are committed will always find a way
– “There are only two days in the year that nothing can be done. One is called yesterday and the other is called tomorrow, so TODAY is the right day to get started!!!”
4. Momentous Moments
Some moments in life act as a catalyst for change, use the power behind these moments to provide momentum for your new goals; a few examples:
– New Year
– New job
– New season
– A setback
– A new day
– Moving to a new place
– Break up or a new relationship
5. Rope Up
You’ll accomplish more in life if you rope up and borrow strength from others.
– Find a friend who has similar goals
– The more support you have the greater your chance for success
For more information on goal setting, please pick up the book by Dr. Stephen Covey, “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People.”